Friday, February 20, 2009

Jewish vs Chinese Chicken Soup

I never thought I'd find a food that I like better than Jewish chicken soup, especially my own. Even my father-in-law, who wouldn't touch any food I made, loved my Jewish chicken soup. He tasted it when he came in hungry one day, saw the soup, and thought my mother-in-law had made it. He could hardly believe that I was behind it. He liked the taste, and the fact that he got little cut up vegetables in every spoonfull, instead of a clear soup with whole vegetables submerged on the bottom.

So yesterday there was a sale on bean sprouts at the super and I found myself with a buickload of them and a chicken. Googling "Chinese Soup" did not produce anything that I had all the ingredients for, so I made a conglomorate. It's basically Jewish chicken soup with the addition of more garlic, bean sprouts, little green onions, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, red hot chili peppers, and cilantro.

Anyway, I made a humongous pot of the soup that was supposed to last three people four days. That was one hour ago. Now half of it's gone and the other two people don't even know about it yet. It looks like I'm going to have to tell them because they are really hard to get along with when I eat all their food.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Also sounds like you need to get a bigger pot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jewish chicken soup wins easy....Chinese won ton and sweet and sour is delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments welcome...